cydoniaquest

Yoda-breath image

owner/host/
ghost in the machine

#1 [url]

05/05/15 12:23 AM

The Tom Cruise version of War of the Worlds, I think had the most faithful version of HG Wells vision for the machine ever....Truly scary...Everything is as described in the book, the whirring of machinery..the way the limbs work as it walks, the death ray...No movie has duplicated the terror that such a walking machine would present, like this one..I imagine that this is how Lovecraft would have wanted his Cthulhu creature to be as well....but a whole army of these things, systematically destroying humanity is the ultimate in alien attacks. All a Cthulhu could do in contrast was maybe wipe out a city or two....The Star Wars Imperial walkers by comparison were completely wimpy and vulnerable to attack...

-"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."-

The Patriot Hangout  

Quote    Reply   

Muna

Mistress of
the Dark!

Admin

#2 [url]

05/07/15 9:29 PM

Cy, when you posted that second video before (the one showing the people getting zapped by the ray), I watched it and it kept me up all night.  I agree--it's a lot scarier than the older "War of The Worlds" movie that had the things flying instead of crawling.

Quote    Reply   

cydoniaquest

Yoda-breath image

owner/host/
ghost in the machine

#3 [url]

05/08/15 12:01 AM

In the original HG Wells book (which I read as a kid) these tripod machines always walked, which made them even more terrifying because they smashed up houses and things beneath them on their path....Here was what the original hard cover that I read as a kid looked like...I got it off my mom's book shelf, and I remember studying this cover for what seemed like hours as a kid.

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/95/63/db/9563dbe6997cb1cc11b74341991dce44.jpg

It's always this giant 300 foot tall machine that the aliens construct underground or in this pit...and then it rises from the pit to go on and exterminate humanity with it's heat ray and indestructible metal body and snake like arms...I mean, it had all the elements of classic horror; The falling to earth like lighting in this unnatural storm, the foreboding feeling of watching the eerie lights from the pit as they construct these things....not knowing what menacing thing is going to rise up...I think naturally, as humans, we fear the deep, the underground, things that rise up from holes in the ground..and particularly, GIANT things of a magnitude and power we can't comprehend, and HG Wells had all of that covered.

I think the Tom Cruise version was probably the best depiction of the tripod machines ever....There's just something about making the legs of those machines flexible like squid legs that is particularly horrifying....And to make it even more horrible, these machines were not only used to exterminate the human inhabitants, but they are also used for the dual purpose of terra-forming the planet making it a more suitable "home-like" environment for the aliens...They'd leave behind everything covered with this red goo, which you are also lead to assume is partially created from the ground up human remains, which the machines excrete like waste product number 2....

Classic horror/survival concept...You can see why so many movie versions have been attempted over the years....

-"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."-

The Patriot Hangout  

Quote    Reply   

lobo58

#4 [url]

05/09/15 4:05 AM

I loved the tripod trilogy and have passed it on to many others over the years. I think you were given these books to read, not because the teachers were Christian, but because they loved freedom. In the novels, when a person comes of age and reaches adulthood, they are "capped"--a device is installed on their head that controls their behavior and their thoughts. The novels are about the resistance, people who choose freedom and resist the caps, and all the complexity that freedom entails.

Quote    Reply   

XXXwolfstrikeXXX

In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey.

#8 [url]

05/19/15 9:43 PM

I don't remember anything about the books other than tripod UFOs chasing kids around and trying to implant a chip in their head.

Christian schools are extremely selective of what material they give to kids, seems very strange to me both schools read the book to us. (and not gave us the book to read)

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help